Saj Bread ( Traditional Arabic Style Flat Bread)
Saj is a popular version of Flat bread, wildly popular in levantine countries like Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine and Syria. It is unique in its baking process on a “ saj Machine” made to bake the bread evenly on an iron surface heated by natural gas. ( shown in picture below)
To make this delicious follow along for easy step by step directions:
Saj Bread Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 1 small spoon of sugar salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Combine the ingredients listed above and Rest half hour then divide into balls. Put in the fridge overnight then let them rest at room temperature roll with oil or roll with flour.
1. Dust a clean surface with flour, roll out a ball using a rolling pin, shaping it into a circular pita bread shape. Keep Rolling the dough until it gets c;lose to 1 inch thin.
2. Ensure that the saj machine is hot and ready to use before beginning the baking process.
3. ( optional) After rolling out the dough place it on the round pillow like mitten that can help transfer the dough to the sj machine easier and safer but if you don’t haven it is okay to use your hands.
4. Stretch the saj bread dough a little more on the pillow like mittens
5. Holding the while material from the bottom transfer the flatten saj bread to the hot Saj machine in an upside down like technique in quick and swift move.
6. keep a very close eye on the flat bread, the baking process will only take a few minutes. Once you started to see the bubbling on the bread. Using a spatula immediately check the baked side if it started to brown and flip the bread to cook on the other side.
Each side takes 3 minutes to bake. Repeat the process for all the dough. This delicious bread is perfect for any dip or sandwiches. Served warm or cold.
Enjoy, Spinning Grillers.
You May Also Like...
We found some products that you might also be interested in.